Tuesday 12 October 2021

Prothonotary Warbler on Corvo and low latitude westerlies

Pierre found this beauty on Corvo today. More on Corvo Blog Here. What a stunner. Totally gripped and gutted that I couldn't get the flight out there yesterday but does confirm the theory on the importance of low/mid-latitude westerlies in producing more southerly (and more mega) American species. I was hoping to adopt a new strategy for Corvo by effectively timing visits last minute to coincide with favourable looking weather. I was scuppered this year due to covid logistics but in theory I would have been along the right lines. Unfortunately due to family commitments I can't travel abroad from next week so rest of my autumn will be solidly UK limited now.  

The magic winds continue tomorrow so could be more lurking on the island. Follow the blog for more updates.  For more of rarities and weather on Corvo see pages 12 and 14 HERE  . 

The story about 'discovering' Corvo HERE

Male Prothonotary Warbler (Vincent Legrand). More photos HERE
Today's chart (above) and tomorrow's (below) (Magic Seaweed) 

No comments: