Monday 24 July 2023

Gran Canaria, Days One and Two

On a family holiday at the moment on Gran Canaria. It's mainly inflatable crocodiles, water parks, sun bathing and restaurants but I've smuggled a moth trap out here and got a couple of birding targets I'm hoping to sneak in. First bit of stealth birding didn't go well today and had to abandon a Gran Canaria Blue Chaffinch twitch for Tapas. I'm hoping will get some more chances to escape the Matrix later in the week. So far had a few interesting bits (mainly around the hotel grounds) including Canary Island Chiffchaffs, Island Canaries, presumed Plain Swifts, African Blue Tit and had the Canary island forms of Common Buzzard and Common Kestrel, Ravens, Berthelot's Pipit, Pallid Swifts and Sardinian Warbler on our mountain road tour today. Plenty of Monk Parakeets around the hotel and some dodgy looking Collared Doves which might have something to do with the Cat C African Collared Doves round here. 

Berthelot's Pipit
Had a flock of Swift over the mountains- I thought they were Plain Swifts originally but after a bit of editing shows rather vermiculated underparts like Pallid . However I checked Ebird/ Macaulay and looks like the mottled underparts is typical of Plain Swift. The thinner wings and longer deeply forked tail are also features of Plain Swift. 

The uniform upperparts also indicates Plain Swift. Again showing the long deep forked tail. Pallid is more contrasting on the upperparts. 
Gran Canaria Giant Lizard (an endemic species to the island) 
Had the moth trap out on the hotel balcony so wasn't expecting much but a few bits (above and below). Will try and identify them when a get a breather. 
A Dark Mottled Willow (I think) 

Looks like a Small Mottled Willow
I recognise this I think but can't remember the name. There was an influx of them in the UK last autumn. 091023- update it was Uresiphita gilvata that I was thinking of


Mountain views 
A Naturalist deep undercover on a TUI resort. Seem to pass as a Normie for as long as nobody speaks to me (some guy started talking to me about silent discos which almost blew my cover). No questions about the moth trap either so all good so far and the kids are loving it and fit in well. 

No comments: