Monday 3 July 2023

Bulgaria, July 2023, Days One and Two

Back to the Bulgaria project with the main aim to do some moth trapping and some summer birding also get the water connection sorted to the project site. Background to this project HERE

Ebird list from today HERE. Highlights including two recently fledged Eagle Owls on the cliffs and just enjoying all the breeding birds on our plot including Turtle Doves, Nightingales, Golden Orioles, Nightjars and Lesser Grey Shrikes- good birds to have breeding in the garden !

As we now have an electricity connection I've been able to run a 125W MV trap but I only brought the electrics with me as the Robinson's is too big to transport, so I've had to hobble something together this end utilising a bucket. I also discovered that UK plug adaptors don't fit into extension leads here so I've had to mess about with that too but managed to work something out. 

Hopefully this week we can make some progress with getting a water connection. Despite only having power but not water I still pushed on with getting a temporary camp site set up on the plot which I'll leave here for when we come back in September. I'm still using a room at the guesthouse too as not quite ready to be fully based on the plot yet. 

So all going good and plenty of moths and butterflies images to sort and try and identify as soon as I get a chance. Previous work on this HERE 

A recently fledged Eagle Owl by the looks of it- one of two on the cliffs at Kamen Bryag
Female Pied Wheatear- several pairs holding territory locally and also some recently fledged young 
Barred Warbler 
First-summer Hobby flying along the cliffs
Turtle Dove display flight over the plot
A stunning little longhorn moth. Nemophora fasciella 
Tawny Wave I believe. Update 060723 More like Bright Wave 
No idea but a beautiful moth . 110723 update. Still not sure on this but maybe Honeyania ragusana. 241123- latest suggestion is Eublemma polygramma
Another one to id. Update 060723- yes as Ben suggested this is most likely Orange-bar Grass Veneer, Chryocrambus linetella which is a species of this cryptic group which, according to the i-naturalist Bulgarian moth group, is flying now 
The Passenger
Not sure what these are but there were hundreds of them . 110723- Odites kollarella
The temporary accommodation at the plot (above) and the moth trap (below) 

The Kamen Bryag coastline 

1 comment:

Peter Alfrey said...

Thanks Ben! I should have recognised that one as I saw that Portland blog post.
Thanks again