Monday 20 June 2022

Big Night Hangover

A big moth night always leaves a trail of carnage in it's wake. So I've spent the last two days trying to identify worn and non-descript micros and battered macros from the heat wave.

Here's a few guesses, tentative ids and some awaiting confirmation. 


The only thing I can think of is one of last year's Black Arches which has somehow survived to now (above and below) ?? 


I've put it down as Acleris hastiana
I've gone for Ox-tongue Conch 
A couple of Coleophoras which I presume are nad inspection jobs (above and below) 

Syndemis musculana
It looked too big and distinctly marked for a Marbled Minor agg so maybe Minor Shoulder Knot? 040123 update from CMR team- too worn to tell what this is. 
Maybe a small Cnephasia?
Something like Cydia ulicetana or Cydia microgrammana?
Maybe a Little Ermine ?
I give up
Common Drill I presume  (these need gen dent) 
I tried 
If they (these scops) are dark like this I lean towards E.mercurella
Holly Tortix I think- that fold in the forewing is distinctive

Loads of beetles in the traps too including a couple of Lesser Stag Beetles 

This was very small so I suspected it might be a Small Plume but Irecord came back as outside known range so presumably more likely to be a worn diminutive Beautiful Plume 
Good idea to do what Jacob does and just stick to the Hawkmoths

1 comment:

Chris Townend (Jaffa) said...

I'm with Jacob!🤣