Friday 9 October 2020

Figure of Eight, the Old Vicarage

If I'm not mistaken, I've had another moth lifer at the Old Vicarage today- a Figure of Eight. I mistook it for a Figure of Eighty at first and almost didn't get a photo. Also a couple new for years, Red Green Carpet and Green Brindled Crescent.

I spent most of the day sorting out the mini-farm, harvesting what ever food was left and preparing the beds for the next planting. 

There was a steady trickle of overhead passage going on throughout the day, Siskins, Redpolls, Chaffinch, Meadow Pipits, a couple of Song Thrush and on two occasions I thought I heard a Yellow-browed calling although couldn't rule out a distant Coal Tit for sure. Tawny Owls were very vocal last night. 

Looks like we are going to get some serious easterlies next week from Wednesday onwards. I need to plan carefully- don't want to miss this one. I have to work two days next week as we are so busy so I moved those days to Monday and Tuesday (we skilfully moved 24 appointments ahead of the vagrant payload) . Restrictions are increasing in Scotland at the moment so not sure if I want to risk the Northern Isles but one way or another it looks like I'll be heading north next week (restrictions permitting). 

Figure of Eight 
Red-green Carpet
Green-brindled Crescent 
Mini farm before (above ) and after (below) 

Harvest mini-festival
Forecast for mid-week next week- I'll be moving on this if this forecast remains the same


2 comments:

Edward Evans said...

Nice moth, we don't get figure of eight here.

Peter Alfrey said...

Yes looks like a south and central species