Saturday 17 October 2020

Dusky Warbler!

I had an excellent day yesterday at South Foreland valley. Ebird list HERE. The undoubted high light was finding my all time WP and World bogey bird- a Dusky Warbler, a self found lifer (2923rd species), I don't get many of those in the UK nowadays. The supporting cast was also good with a Yellow-browed Warbler, 3 Ring Ouzel and some amazing vis mig including 1506 Goldfinch, 237 Siskin, 202 Lesser Redpoll, 11 Brambling, 81 Chaffinch, 99 Linnet, 3 Yellowhammer, 2 Tree Sparrow and 15 Crossbill. 

10 hours in the field literally from dawn to dusk- absolutely brilliant. Not been a bad week with self found Dusky Warbler, Pallas's and Yellow-browed Warbler. Just what I was hoping for this autumn (my big October) and still only half way through. The winds shift to the south next week so I'm hoping to target southern vagrants and moths. Will see how I get on. 



Dusky Warbler, typically elusive, keeping low in dark areas and calling often. Call and sonogram on Ebird HERE . The third record for South Foreland Valley in 43 years. South Foreland Valley birding website HERE

Most migrants were going overhead today so good to get a record shot of a Brambling on the deck
Goldfinches over the Channel (France in background) 

No comments: