Tuesday 6 October 2020

Kent Mini-break

Well that didn't quite go to plan. I was waiting for something good to turn up on the east coast that I could twitch and then do some rarity hunting in that area. However by Sunday night there was nothing within striking distance so I thought I would do a couple of days in North Kent so I left at 6am and started off at Grain. Within minutes news was confirmed of the Steppe Grey Shrike in Suffolk- that would have been perfect- it's a lifer. Traffic was murder getting to Grain so I thought I'd stick to the plan and go for the shrike the day after (today). So I did Grain for most of the day- migrants included 1 Wheatear, 10 Siskin, 3 Lesser Redpoll, my first Brent Geese of the autumn (100+), 10 Blackcap,  50+ House Martin, 10 Swallow, 10 Chiffchaff, 4 Goldcrest, 2 Stonechat, 40 Meadow Pipit, 11 Skylark, 1 Rock Pipit, a notable presence of Robins, a Gannet in the Thames and a good selection of other wintering wetland birds in the Thames. Also had Clouded Yellow and Wall Brown butterflies. 

I spent the evening on Sheppey in the campervan (at Warden Springs) and put the moth trap out despite the moderate south west winds and rain. Surprisingly there were a few migrants. This morning I did the bushes at Warden Point, which were very quiet and then decided to set off to twitch the Shrike. 

No sooner I had I started my journey, did my phone decide to completely pack up (no internet access) so I had no idea how to get to the bird and simultaneously I was dealing with phone calls about chaos at work so I had to abort and go back home (so much for my month off) to sort stuff out. I ended up back at the farmlands for an hours birding in the evening! I can't escape!! Will try again tomorrow.  

First-winter Wheatear
Migrant Robins were quite conspicuous 
A walk for my dinner (cockney cockles) took me along Leysdown Beach which hosted roosting Sandwich Terns, Mediterranean Gulls, Ringed Plover, Dunlins and migrant Mips, Pied Wags and a Wheatear. 
First Brents of the autumn 
A Delicate- my first in the UK if I remember right. Had a few other migrants including Clancy's Rustic (below), Rusty-dot Pearl, Silver-Y, and Turnip. Mainly (apart from the Craneflies!) Lunar Underwings, Lesser and Large Yellow Underwings,  Beaded Chestnut, Small Rannunculs and a few other typical autumn species. 

Gold Spot are always a treat 
Brick was a new for year for me 
I wasn't sure about this- thought maybe a worn Feathered Rannunculus ? 
Another mystery moth- not sure at all, a drab? or a melanic Square-spot rustic? 
Moth trap on the cliff last night 
Warden Point (the cliff in distance) , Sheppey from Leysdown Beach 

Highlight of the evening visit to the farmlands was 150+ House Martin hawking over the South Lake. They've been around for a couple of days so presumably being held up in the weather conditions. 

5 comments:

Stewart said...

Peter I have no idea what that unusual moth is but it aint a Square Spot Rustic. It might be something rare, get it checked out by some migration experts online...try Dave Grundy...

Peter Alfrey said...

Hi Stewart- ok I've sent it to my county recorder - will keep you posted

Peter Alfrey said...

He says likely to be a very worn Deep-brown Dart- some vestiges of the markings and overall size and shape

Edward Evans said...

The Feathered Ranunculus thing looks like a dead ringer. I have recorded one this year here in Calderdale (one of 2 inland populations in the north) see the Calderdale Moth blog 21st September. It was in my garden trap but they are well known from this area.

Peter Alfrey said...

Thanks Ed! That’s the closest I can get too, would be good to get a nice fresh one