Wednesday 3 July 2024

Western Australia, Days nine to ten, Cheynes Beach

The second part of my mini-trip down south was a two night stay at Cheynes Beach. Updated trip report HERE.

Famously this site hosts the 'three amigos', Noisy Scrub-bird, Western Bristlebird and Western Whipbird, notorious skulkers that are extremely range restricted endemics to coastal heaths of SWA. I gave it two nights here to just focus on seeing these birds, I had success with seeing the first two but no sign of the Whipbird but luckily I had one singing at Mount Trio at Stirling Range, so mission complete. 

On the mammal front, I managed to see two or three Honey Possums in the Banskias (another reason this area is famed for) but they were not easy and I would not have succeeded without the new thermal. They are not so active in the winter and the nights were cool too. 

One of the highlights was the incredible spectacle of the bay full of Hump-back Whales, breaching and blowing and fin and tail slapping. There must have been at least 30 animals in the bay, the blows and breaching slaps audible continuously in the area including at night from the caravan- a nice sound to go to sleep to. 

On the way back to Mandaruh I took a different route back and checked in at Porongurup National Park and Muir Lake Nature Reserve to look for the last endemics I need to find- Baudin's Black Cockatoo, Western Corella and Western Shrike-tit. I've so far managed to find 13 of the 16 SWA endemics but my luck ran out and I still need to find these three species.  

A few photo highlights below.

Carnaby's Black Cockatoo (above and below) 

Western Bristlebird. No photos of the Noisy Scrub-birds unfortunately despite them being literally everyone singing loudly. I only managed a couple of brief low flight views and hops. 
Red-eared Firetail
Western Spinebill- stunner! 
White-breasted Robin 
Western Rosella 
New Holland Honeyeaters- bloody everywhere ! 
White-cheeked Honeyeater 
Black-shouldered Kite
Nankeen Kestrel
Bush Bronze-wing
Western Wattlebird
Eastern Osprey
Pacific Gull- what a bird. Nice to get a gull lifer. 
Sooty Oystercatcher
Little Eagle
Humpback Whale (above and below) 

Western Grey Kangaroo (above and below) 

Skink to identify 
Whale watchers at Cheyne Beach 
The Back beach 

No comments: