Tuesday 16 November 2021

The Old Vic

Nice to have Siskins as a recent daily feature of the garden this autumn. There's been up to 10 or so, often feeding on the Lawson's Cypress trees. Also had another flock of Golden Plovers flying over and small groups of Redwings and Fieldfares. Tawny Owls calling most nights and Coal Tit on the new feeders.

Nothing in the moth trap last night but there was a winter moth by the light in the porch.

As is customary in winter, I've been reading a lot recently and came across a picture in the 2012 Beddington Farmlands report of a moth that I didn't recognise and was un-titled in the report. Nowadays if there is a moth I don't recognise then its something not too bad (or rather not very common) . Back in 2012 I was a complete novice and I didn't recognise hardly anything so I've started to go through old photos in UFO albums and blog posts. The moth in question looks like one of the more distinctive Coleophora species perhaps something like C.ochrea which would be a vagrant from the nearby Chalk downlands. Presumably it's a gen den one so I still don't know what it is. 

Siskins 
Winter moth 
Coleophora sp from Beddington Farmlands 2012 

No comments: