Wednesday 22 February 2023

Lazlo

I've always agreed with the principle that if you eat meat you should be willing to raise and kill it yourself in order to stay connected to the process. I agree that there has been a great disconnection between animals and meat which has led to the industrialisation of the meat production process which has led to poor animal welfare and a spiritual disconnection from the food web.

Anyway so I have finally been in a position to raise, humanely kill and eat meat. However the process has been very enlightening and quite emotional. I actually got quite attached to Lazlo, he was almost a member of the family. It actually felt a bit like eating a family member. I actually miss him running around and calling in the morning (and all day and sometimes at night too). At the same time he tasted great and he started terrorising the kids and Jacob stopped going out in the garden because he was terrified of getting attacked. He started attacking everyone too including me so the health and safety and children wellbeing considerations helped in the decision making process.

So overall a very interesting experience and one I would recommend to any meat eater. It's important to be acutely aware of what it is be a carnivore (or predator) and to accept the emotional responsibility of that which in my experience is a tough conflict between emotion and reason. 

 





No comments: