Wednesday 2 November 2022

The Old Vic- Oak Rustic

Finally got a new moth for the garden in this major migration event. Not even sure if it's a migrant as I believe Oak Rustic has been slowly moving into the Upper Thames. Anyway, quite pleased to finally get something good for here. Surprisingly there were no Rush Veneers in the traps last night for the first time in a couple of weeks so looks like the migration might be drying up. The only migrant in the trap was another nice Delicate.

I heard back from Dave Wilton from the Bucks CMR team and the Acleris I had yesterday is indeed either kochiella or logiana so I'm waiting to hear back now whether I can send it off for my first dissection to determine the species (it's a gen dent job).

 

Oak Rustic (above and below). A bit of a warn specimen (see below for recent more fresh specimens from Portland). My searches at night with the torch paid off when I found this on the side of the actinic. 

Oak Rustics from Portland last week showing fresher individuals and also some of the variation within this species with a brown white spotted one above and a darker orange spotted one below

Either Acleris kochiella or logiana- either is a new species for the garden. Garden year list now on 492.
Delicate- only the third this year from the garden 

No comments: