Saturday 27 June 2020

Moth trap at Little Oak HQ

Since I've had the Robinson's Trap I've wanted to try it up at our work base, at Little Woodcote on the North Downs chalk next to the Downs Project. As the weather was perfect for moths this week with night temperatures in the twentys I went for it and was gobsmacked with the volume of moths. Approximately 500 moths in the trap including Privet (3), Lime (1), Elephant (6) and Small Elephant (5)  Hawkmoths. Here's a few that I don't often get at my other trap sites (The Old Vicarage and Beddington Farmlands). 

 Just a small sample of the trap, I ran the trap on two nights through the main heat wave (Wednesday and Thursday nights) 
 Blackneck 
 A Mottled Beauty variant (?) It's a Dark Umber (thanks Edward!) 
 Brown-line Bright-eye. While I get the odd one at Beddington the trap was full of these. 
 Crambus pascuella
 Midget sp? I'm going for a worn Batia sp on this 
Mompha epilobiella or maybe Mompha ochraceella (Buff Mompha) ? 
Acorn Piercer, Pammene fasciana
Privet Hawkmoth- always stunning 



2 comments:

Edward Evans said...

The 'Mottled Beauty variant is Dark Umber

Edward Evans said...

The 'M. beauty variant' is Dark Umber