After a day quoting in London I decided to unwind by spending the evening in the harbour. I wanted to check the waders on the falling tide but the water in the harbour was still full so I decided to check Ferry and Long Pool. HERE
A Marsh Harrier went over the field opposite Long Pool putting up about 100 Meadow Pipits, 100 Linnets and 30 Yellow Wagtail. There were also 4 Whinchat and a Wheatear in the fields.
I got to the bench at the end of the Long Pool and decided to chill and scan. Soon I heard the call of a Curlew Sandpiper that flew around with a Dunlin before going back down in the saltmarsh with the roosting waders. Not long after that I had a distant Osprey heading west but I got distracted from the Osprey by some commotion over the harbour with a group of Rooks and Jackdaws incessantly mobbing a raptor. It was a large accipiter so I rattled off some shots and it looked like a Gos candidate but I wanted to check on the big screen as it was so distant. I followed the bird as it went low over Halseys and sent all the Woodpigeons up.
I then went to Church Norton and bumped into Andrew and showed him the accipter photos and he agreed it looked interesting. When I got home I sent them round for second opinions and Andrew, Ian, Jaffa and Marc all agree it was a Gos too.
Maybe the same bird I had a few weeks ago in July HERE. A local mega bird so hopefully it reappears and more people see it.

No comments:
Post a Comment