Thursday, 6 August 2026

Scotland Road Trip Day Six

The moth traps were a bit quieter last night with only one new lifer albiet a good one. I'm planning on putting the heath trap out on some moorland habitat nearby tonight to target some of the remaining targets. I've luckily got most of the targets from the campsite so far. As the campervan is out of action at the moment (head gasket waiting for repair) we brought the car up so didn't have much room for moth traps so I just brought the lepiled and an old heath trap up instead of the MV and twin actinic. I'll leave the lepiled at the campsite tonight and put the heath trap up on nearby moorland.

Today we went to Loch Ness and took the kids to the Loch Ness Experience and then came back via a stop at Inverness. There were some Bottlenose Whales in the Moray Firth recently but a quick check revealed nothing obvious apart from lots of Goosanders. 

In the evening I had a stoll by the river near the campsite and had a nice Dipper and lots of Scotch Argus butterflies. 

White-throated Dipper, year tick 906. 
Plenty of Willow Warblers around the campsite. Had a Crossbill and a Hen Harrier go over the campsite and we had Hooded Crow near Loch Ness today too. 
Scotch Argus- lots of these by the river. The only butterfly I've seen up here although it has been raining more or less non-stop until today.
Angle-striped Sallow- top of the wish list. Lifer.
Northern Spinach- a better photo.
Male Anamolous- what a stunner!
Dotted Carpet (above) and Suspected (below). Better photos. 

Plain Grey- last night's catch was basically more of the same from previous nights but most of them lifers before this trip
Loch Ness- the kids enjoyed the Loss Ness Experience. 
Tulloch Moor- unfortunately no sign of any Red Grouse
Dipper habitat near the campsite 

No comments: