Saturday 3 October 2020

Birding Plan for week

I'm with the family tomorrow ready for kick off on Monday. If I could I would get myself up in the Northern Isles for the next few days. The mega laden easterlies of the last few days continue until mid-week while the centre of the low moves north bringing westerlies to every where below the NE and Scotland (image one) from Monday onwards. After mid-week a rather boring looking westerly airflow (lacking deep depressions with a jet stream rather far south) dominates the whole of the UK and by next weekend a Northerly airflow starts to dominate (image two).

It's a difficult situation as really need to get up on the Northern Isles but seems like a lot of effort just for next couple of days and the horse is already bolting. Next best thing is to get as north and east as possible on the mainland so I'll see what the bird news is tomorrow night and then move into position for Monday morning somewhere on the east coast. It could all be a bit late by then but hopefully still some birds hanging around. 

I'll probably come back to the family late week as looks like things are going to calm down and then will keep an eye on the northerly wind situation next weekend and might move back to the east coast for some sea watching. Will see if anything turns up worth twitching too as that could narrow down the choice of where to go. 

This will be my first autumn in over 20 years that I've rarity hunted in the UK. It gives me an opportunity to look for eastern stuff which I'm missing in my finds collection HERE  I'll miss the Azores this year (I'll only go and risk covid disruptions if the weather looks really good). Instead of nearly 100 birders on Corvo it seems like will only be 10 or so this year.  There's been a few bits already. Corvo blog. My plan was to  be on the Black Sea and back on the Azores this autumn but hopefully can resume that plan next year. In the meantime it feels like revisiting my youth- it's quite exciting! 



 

No comments: