Saturday 19 March 2016

Jack Snipe skin

 Tank and Glenn witnessed this Jack Snipe having a fatal mid-air collision with a Herring Gull. First time I've fully appreciated that Jacks have a white trailing edge to the secondaries.
 With such a rare opportunity I thought I would have a go at preparing a skin. I followed Proctor and Lynch Manual of Ornithology and also used the BTO guide 17 to try and age it
 T2-3 are pointed indicating a first-winter bird
 However the undertail coverts look better for an adult. Not sure if there's been an update on ageing Jacks but according to my BTO guide, it's a very difficult species to age based on incomplete research.
 Got all the gear out
 And here is my rather dodgy skin- currently drying. I've missed out the pics of removing the viscera as its quite gruesome. I also didn't have any sowing stuff or surgical cotton so I had to improvise with kitchen tissue and a staple gun! 
I rustled up the viscera in an artichoke and mushroom dish topped with red currant sauce 

5 comments:

Lee Dingain said...

I think this beats Puffin.

Peter Alfrey said...

Its in my top ten now too!

Lee Dingain said...

How does the Moorhen rate?

Peter Alfrey said...

Not good- very Wandley.

Lee Dingain said...

I remember. Probably in my worst 10.