Thursday, 8 December 2011

Woodcock Investments

Came across this hunters Woodcock at work. If I understood my book right the horny keratin scales on the feet are called the investment. The pattern of rows of scales is called scutellate and a patchwork of scales is called a reticulate pattern. On this Woodcock there of rows of scales (scutellate) on the top of the 'toes' and a patchwork of scales (reticulate) on the bottom so this is called a Scutellate-reticulate pattern.


Darryl said...

Have you aged it? Lots of info at:

Peter Alfrey said...

Too late..... I ate it