Friday, 9 October 2026

Journey to Scilly

I set off this morning at 530am and first stop was Davidstow Airfield where I caught up with Ian, Andrew, Paul and Robb, this week's crew. They had located the Buff-breasted Sandpiper that fortunately was still present. A few other bits there included a Ruff, 4 Ringed Plover, 8 Golden Plover, 4 Lapwing and a Yellow-legged Gull HERE.

Next stop was Victoria services for the first pasty of the week before continuing on to Drift reservoir. I set off to walk round the reservoir but the heavens opened and completely soaked me so I turned round. There was a Spotted Sandpiper and a Kumlien's Gull reported earlier in the day but after a chat with a couple of birders there was some controversy over the Sandpiper so after a break in the rain I quickly located the Iceland/Kumlien's Gull distantly and then headed off for a nostalgic visit to the Kenidjack Valley.

I did my Uni dissertation on the Kenidjack Valley so it was wonderful to revisit, despite the rather wild and windy conditions. A few birds in there HERE with highlights included Chough, Firecrests, Chiffs, a Willow Warbler and a Reed Warbler. 

I then had a quick look at the Hayle Estuary before fish and chips and then checking in to the Hayle Premier Inn ahead of the catching the Scillonian tomorrow morning .





Juv Buff-breasted Sandpiper and Juv Ruff (above) at Davidstow. Nice to see one this year in Cornwall after dipping a few weeks ago. 
Adult Yellow-legged Gull 
Iceland/Kumlien's Gull at Drift
Reed Warbler at Kendijack- they always look rare this time of year in bushes 
Kenidjack Valley- good memories 

No comments: