Friday, 2 October 2026

Finally some action of sorts

Having missed out on anything bird wise from the west or east from the respective regional influxes and associated weather systems in the last couple of weeks our main hope down here remains from the deep southerly airflow a few days ago bringing in some decent moth migrants. 

Therefore last night I went all in with the twin actinic and the lepiled here in the garden and the 12W actinic up at St.Wilfrid's Church at Church Norton. Frustrastingly my MV is in for repair at the moment. Maybe luckily Isaac would not allow me to sleep last night so I was up at 3.30am and was able to catch a few migrants in pots too. 

Sadly no moth mega, particularly no Maize Wainscot (the three Large Wainscots gave me a small heart attack each) but a good selection of new migrants in the garden traps with two Silver-spotted Veneer (the 8th and 9th records here and all from this year), a nice Golden Twin-spot, Scarce Bordered Straw, Clancy's Rustic, Silver-Y, 3 L-album Wainscot, 3 Rusty-dots, 4 Rush Veneer, 5 Beet moths and 12 Small Mottled Willows. Additional migrants in the last couple of nights include Pearly Underwing, Dewick's Plusia and Blair's Mocha so it's been a pretty good influx now. 

Meanwhile at St Wilfrid's a Small Marbled was the highlight, with several L-album Waiscots, Rush Veneer, Vestal and heaps of Turnip moths. There was also Red-green Carpet and Common Marbled Carpet which would be unusual here. 

As I had failed to find anything mega myself I jumped at the opportunity to go and twitch Derek's Maize Wainscot from yesterday at Bracklesham. A moth lifer.  

So getting in some action at least! 

Maize Wainscot- the 10th for UK (the 6th to 10th records all from the last week) from Bracklesham caught by Derek Lee (above and below in different lights). Trapped on the night of the 30th September but retained for breeding as a female. The adults only live a few days and she has already laid eggs. Derek will attempt to rear them but usually the caterpillars eat Maize leaves and then burrow into the cane where they pupate and then emerge as adults later so Derek is considering how to replicate that environment. An interesting example of what insect migration is all about with this female ready to lay eggs after crossing the Channel in new territory which can potentially become a toehold for colonisation. Considering this is a well known pest in Southern Europe, it probably won't be too welcome here on the Peninsula which is a maize/sweetcorn growing area.

Golden Twin-spot. The second this year and only the 6th garden record.
Silver-spotted Veneers (above and below). Only the 7th date recorded in the garden but this is the second time I've had two in one night so these are the 8th and 9th individuals.

Small Marbled from St. Wilfrid's.
A different Scarce Bordered Straw to yesterdays
Chestnut and Dark Chestnut? or two Chestnuts. Every year I have to relearn these.
As I was up at a ridiculous time I got the thermal out and had this presumed Wood Mouse and also a couple of voles and some bats flying round the garden 
Wondering round a graveyard in the early hours. I was more concerned by someone sitting in a parked car in the car park rather than supernatural beings. 

No comments: