Monday 31 August 2020

Beddington Farmlands- slogging away

It really feels like a slog at Beddington at the moment, a bit of ground hog day with no stand out rarities for ages with seemingly everyone and every site all around scoring. Ebird list from today HERE. 

The 9th Red-crested Pochard for the site found by Nick yesterday did not butter any parsnips for me either.

Still no mega moth either although there was a high proportion of migrants last night in a very small catch- L-album wainscot, Dewick's Plusia, Silver-Y and Diamond-back Moth . Strangely I had a Red Underwing flying around near Mile Road Bridge during the day which coincided with the end of National Moth Night which was a wash out for most but the Red/Crimson Underwings were the target of that.  

Just to cause me more comedic angst, Holly's non-birding and non-mothing friend found a 'small bird' in her garden - a couple of streets away from the Old Vicarage and sent me the photos- a Convolvolus Hawk-moth Pics here. I've been dreaming of one at the Old Vic! 

I think being stuck local (in this country!)  for so long is finally getting to me, last thing I needed to see was a post on twitter about low carbon birding advocating me being stuck here forever. I sort of lost the plot- Thread here. I've always found being stuck inland in the UK as a birder in autumn an awful torture and this year with the pandemic its becoming a nightmare. Here's a load of common boring dross which brought me some comfort today, seen them all countless times before but still appreciate them: 

Red-crested Pochard 
Whitethroat- pretty good numbers of passerines today
Lesser Whitethroat 
Swift - won't be long now before they're all gone 
Dewick's Plusia
L-album Wainscot
I presume this is a melanic Straw Underwing or perhaps a melanic Square-spot Rustic? 
Rusty-dot Pearl 

2 comments:

Edward Evans said...

I'd have that as Square Spot Rustic.

Peter Alfrey said...

Square spot rustic it is!