Monday 20 April 2020

Oakley Airfield

As planned I got up early this morning and went back to Oakley Airfield. Ebird list HERE. Highlights were 9 Wheatear, 11 Yellow Wagtail, 8 Corn Bunting, loads of Skylarks, Whitethroats and the Firecrest again. The site is literally less than a five minute walk from the Old Vicarage. I have spent the last several years (on and off)  looking for a migrant/birding hotspot by exploring the fields south of here towards the river Thame- I should have gone the other way! 

 Corn Bunting (above and below) - several singing birds, a lovely sound to hear amongst the choir of Skylarks and calling Yellow Wagtails- a sound I didn't think that still existed in the English countryside! 

 Male Wheatear (above) and female (below) 

 Male and female Wheatear
 There are literally Skylarks everywhere on the airfield- I estimated nearly 30 birds - the air was thick with the songs
 Adult Red Kite
Oakley airfield

No comments: