Monday 11 March 2024

From the archives- Arizona 2008

The work continues on working out the gaps in my world list to plan next trips. I've come to the conclusion that I'm just going to have to up upload all my old trip reports onto Ebird as that will make it a lot easier to work out the gaps so I'll probably see how I can find time to do that. Will probably use the same exercise to work out my world mammal list and other taxa too. I guess will be good to get all my old records onto these new big data systems anyway.

I've done a bit of  North America including Point Pelee migration, British Columbia, California and Arizona so still need to do Texas, Alaska, Florida and would also like to do an autumn migration trip to Cape May. 

In the meantime I've been going through old trip reports and the latest one was a trip to Arizona with Sam Woods, another one of the recees for Tropical Birding that we did.

Surfbirds Trip Report HERE. Plenty of deep south specialities, highlights including Montezuma Quail, Red-faced, Olive, Virginia's, Grace's, McGillvray's, Townend's, Black-throated Grey and Lucy's Warblers, Painted Redstart, ten species of hummingbird, Elegant Trogon, eleven species of Woodpecker, California Condor, Roadrunners and Wild Turkeys, Vermillion Flycatcher, Bendire's, Curve-billed and Crissal Thrashers, some very smart Tanagers and some decent yank sparrows too. 

A few trip photos below. 

Elegant Trogon 
Vermillion Flycatcher 
Flame-coloured Tanager
Western Tanager
Lewis's Woodpecker 
Red-naped Sapsucker 
Acorn Woodpecker 
Painted Redstart (Sam Woods) 
Mexican Jay 
Lark Sparrow 
Black-throated Sparrow 
Brewer's Sparrow (I think) 
Rufous-winged Sparrow
American Avocet 
First-summer Wilson's Phalarope 
Mountain Pygmy Owl 
Olive Warbler- also had Red-faced, Virginia's and Lucy's Warbler on this trip
Gambel's Quail
House Finch 
Western Wood Pewee
Black-throated Grey Warbler
Spotted Owl with young 
Northern Mockingbird- actually taken in Philadelphia on the way home 
American Robin 
Wild Turkey, southwestern form in display 
Collared Peccary- the mammal highlight of the trip. Also had Pronghorns.
Rattlesnake 
Arizona views (above and below)

The Grand Canyon 
Sam (below) and me (above) doing the Birding Cowboy thing . We even wrote a song about our trip HERE


No comments: