Thursday, 8 October 2026

Pre-Scilly

The journey to Scilly starts early tomorrow so I spent today getting all the work done and getting ready. I managed to get in a bit of a garden birding HERE with highlights being the autumn's first Redwing, a flock of 40 Golden Plover over the fields, a Red Kite over, 4 Chiffchaff, a Blackcap, a Goldcrest, 3 Song Thrush over, 4 Siskin, at least 9 Chaffinch,  a few Skylarks, Mipits and alba wagtails and a large gathering of Stock Dove in the field opposite. The Tawny Owl has been calling most nights recently too.

In the evening I popped out for a check of Ferry and Long Pool where highlights were 18 Stonechat, 1 Wheatear, 3 Yellowhammer and 4 Snipe and a Water Rail on Long Pool. 

Today was the first day this autumn I didn't see any hirundines. 

If all goes to plan, first stop tomorrow will be Davidstow to twitch Buff-breasted Sandpiper. Three days ago there were four birds, yesterday there were three birds and today only one left so it's touch and go!

Female Stonechat (above and below). The excellent autumn for Stonechat continues with 18 around Ferry and Long Pool , another 15 or so by the Horsefield, birds at North Wall and still 25 or so at Medmerry. 

Yellowhammer
Wheatear

No comments: